Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fairport Convention - Evanston IL 1975





FAIRPORT CONVENTION
Evanston 1975 [no label, 3CD]
Live at The Amazing Grace, Evanston, IL;
September 5, 1975.
Very good soundboard.
MP3 224

Singer-songwriter Sandy Denny was with Fairport Convention from 1968 to 1969.
She returned to the group in 1974 and left at the end of 1975.
Denny died of a traumatic mid-brain haemorrhage in 1978. She was 31.

Thanks to davmar77 who shared this at Dime in January 2010; and to JerryRocks who shared it at Lossless Legs.

davmar77 noted:

I went down to the vaults and dug out my 23-year-old tapes of Fairport Convention recorded in September of 1975. These shows took place at The Amazing Grace in Evanston, IL, during the time that Sandy Denny had rejoined the group. From what I
can tell, the previous upload of the early show was taken from a rebroadcast with songs from both shows. Also, my copy is complete. At one point during the earlier version, you can hear the intro of a song that does not follow. My tapes are from SB recordings made at both shows. The quality of the first set is pretty close but
my version of the late show sounds more natural and far less processed. I think you will all think of these as upgrades.

Kinksman recalled:

I was at this show, not sure if it was the early or late show. The band was quite buzzed, I shared some of my bottle of wine with Sandy during the show (she asked if there was any ACID in it before she drank some) - quite a thrill for a young man of 18. I remember Dave Pegg tripping on (accidentley) and then stomping on (purposely) a mandolin and commenting that at an earlier time this would have resulted in a breakup of the band. A wonderful, intimate venue, too bad there is nothing like it in this area any longer. (A stunning lineup of one of my all time favorite bands.)

Download

1 comment:

  1. This is really great Thanks, & have a nice night.jimg

    ReplyDelete