Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Procol Harum - Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra,1973






Procol Harum
Hollywood Bowl
August 4, 1973
With The Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra

MP3 320
VG+/EX

*Original Notes
Here we find Procol Harum 20 months after the concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra that gave the official Live release everyone knows. The band played 7 times with an orchestra between these 2 dates (but I don't know any bootleg from these concerts, if you know tell me please) and the Hollywood Bowl concert will be the last experience of the band with a complete orchestra until 1992, with (again) the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. Compared to the Edmonton concert, the band seems in more relax mood this time and personnally, I prefer this last one even if some may find that the music is less somptuous, which is the case. I'm not usually amateur of live bootlegs but I've always made an exception for Procol Harum since hearing the various interpretations of their songs is a constant delight. Hearing how they slightly modify a thing here and there, raising shivers in your back at different moments, is a for me a consolation in life for more than 35 years. This is a reason Procol Harum will be the rare band I'll share some of them here. At the time they played with the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra, they had released Grand Hotel 5 months before an album that was received enthusiastically worldwide but did not sell as much as expected. Mick Grabham had taken the guitar after the short Dave Ball staying. Actually, this concert sounds as a Grand Hotel with Orchestra more than the previous one that closed the 60's period of the band. The sound is quite good for a bootleg and one can listen to it as an official one without being bothered by the production. I post here the version edited by Lobster records a decade or so ago. I don't think the sound is different from the ones found here and there but I don't think so. For streaming I chose one of my fave Procol song, "Simple Sister". The version here is much better than the one released as bonus track on the Salvo re-release of the Edmonton concert.
Enjoy this fantastic moment of music here.

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment